Guilford Suffers Overtime Football Loss at Hampden-Sydney

De'Eric Bell '18 (photo by Jim Schlosser '65)
De'Eric Bell '18 (photo by Jim Schlosser '65)

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Senior quarterback Nash Nance passed for four scores and ran for 138 yards and the eventual game-winning touchdown in Hampden-Sydney College's 35-28 overtime football win over visiting Guilford College Saturday.

The victory puts the Tigers (7-2, 5-1 ODAC) in the driver's seat for their ninth Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) title entering next week's regular-season finale with Randolph-Macon College. Guilford (7-2, 4-2 ODAC) closes its campaign next Saturday (11/15) at Emory & Henry College (8-1, 5-1 ODAC) in another contest that will impact the league standings.

Hampden-Sydney used two touchdown passes from Nance to Holton Walker to open a 21-10 lead entering the fourth quarter. The first score, a 34-yard completion that capped the game's opening drive, marked Walker's school-record 38th career touchdown catch. Nance found Walker from 25 yards out with 6:21 left in the third quarter, which opened a 21-10 edge that stood after three quarters.

Guilford got back into the game on a 67-yard touchdown pass from Matt Pawlowski to Adam Smith with 13:20 left in regulation. Pawlowski connected with Josh Williams for a two-point conversion, which drew the Quakers to within 21-18.

The Tigers answered with a 10-play, 75-yard drive capped by Nance's fourth scoring pass of the day, a 25-yard completion to Michael Mey. On third down and nine, Nance dropped the shotgun snap, recovered the ball, and fired a well-placed pass to the covered Mey, who brought it in for his fourth touchdown catch of the year.

Guilford drove to the Tigers' 10 before settling for Tyler Hunt's second 22-yard field goal of the day, which made it a 28-21 game with 5:14 left.

The ensuing series covered eight yards in five plays, but took 3:26 as the Tigers tried to run down the clock. Nance punted to the Quakers' 29 where Guilford took over with 1:48 to play and one timeout remaining. Pawlowski efficiently moved the Quakers to Hampden-Sydney's 18 before hitting Austen Thompson in stride for his third touchdown pass of the day. Tyler Hunt's point after with 22.5 seconds left tied the game at 28-28.

Hampden-Sydney had the opening overtime possession and kept the ball in Nance's hands. The 6-4, 210-pound Tennessee transfer carried 13 yards on the Tigers' first overtime play and completed a seven-yard pass to Owen Costello down to the Quakers' five. After a one-yard carry, he called his own number again, and took it four yards into the end zone. Max Antwerpes point-after kick made it 35-28.

Guilford took over at the 25. The Quakers were unable to pick up a first down as Hampden-Sydney's Dion Berry broke up Pawlowski pass attempts on third and fourth down to seal the win.

Nance completed 19-of-28 passes for 237 yards and four touchdowns without an interception. He was not sacked and averaged 6.6 yards on 21 carries. Nance also punted twice for a 44.5-yard average. Walker finished with eight grabs for 109 yards and Bracy Macko added 68 rushing yards on 13 carries. John Moore was Hampden-Sydney's top tackler with 11 stops and a pass breakup. Sidney Henry made 10 tackles and broke up three passes.

Guilford's Pawlowski completed 32-of-54 passes for 363 yards, his seventh 300-yard passing game of the season. In addition to throwing touchdowns to Smith and Thompson, he also connected from six yards out with Trey Dill, which tied the game at 7-7 late in the first quarter. Smith finished with eight catches for 154 yards and C.J. Hobbs had a game- and career-best nine grabs for 72 yards. Josh Schow paced Guilford's rushers with 77 yards on 18 carries and also caught four passes for 39 yards. Daytwyn Rascoe shared game-high honors with 11 tackles.