Bridgewater Downs Guilford, 5-1, in ODAC Tournament
LEXINGTON, Va. (4/23/10) -- Third-seeded Bridgewater College advanced to the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Tournament semifinals Friday with a 5-1 win over sixth-seeded Guilford College.
The Eagles (13-5) won two of three doubles matches and clinched the victory with three straight-set singles wins. Teddy Callow won his fourth-singles contest over Guilford's Mark Cheong, 6-0, 6-2, after Callow and second-doubles teammate Peter Hawkins pulled out an 8-5 triumph over Cheong and Andre Arguimbau.
Bridgewater's Martin Donaire clinched the Eagles' victory with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Ben Nelson at sixth singles. Donaire and third-doubles teammate Brent Floyd recorded an 8-6 victory over Nelson and Jody Cox.
Guilford seniors Will Mason-Deese and Alec Chase scored the Quakers' lone point with an 8-5 victory over Chris Radke and Brad DeWitt.
Bridgewater plays second-seeded Washington and Lee University, a 5-0 winner over Lynchburg College, in Saturday's semifinals at the Generals' Upper Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Bridgewater
Apr 23, 2010 at Lexington, Va.
Bridgewater 5, Guilford 1
1. Chris Radke (BC) vs. Will Mason-Deese (GC) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. Peter Hawkins (BC) vs. Alec Chase (GC) 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
3. Brad DeWitt (BC) vs. Andre Arguimbau (GC) 6-7 (6-8), unfinished
4. Teddy Callow (BC) def. Mark Cheong (GC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Brent Floyd (BC) def. Jody Cox (GC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Martin Donaire (BC) def. Ben Nelson (GC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Will Mason-Deese/Alec Chase (GC) def. Chris Radke/Brad DeWitt (BC) 8-5
2. Peter Hawkins/Teddy Callow (BC) def. Mark Cheong/Andre Arguimbau (GC) 8-5
3. Brent Floyd/Martin Donaire (BC) def. Jody Cox/Ben Nelson (GC) 8-6